Pendant, “pendere” in Latin, is a loose-hanging piece of jewellery, attached to a necklace by a loop. Bracelets and earrings are also often worn with pendants. Available in a wide range of materials, such as glass, wood, fibers, ceramic, gems and metals, pendants are a great way to accessorize jewelleries.
Jewellery with pendants of precious gems such as diamonds can be gifted on special occasions such as engagements, anniversaries and weddings.
It is important to know the different types and styles of pendants, so you can make an informed choice before you buy one. Here are the top three things to consider when buying a pendant:
- Amulets: Commonly worn around the arm or neck, amulets are a popular form of pendants. They are believed to dispel evil and protect the wearer from danger.
- Lockets: Another popular piece of jewellery, lockets are small pendants that open to reveal photographs or charms. They are the perfect gifts for a loved one on occasions such as anniversaries, and are usually found hanging from necklaces or from a charm bracelet.
- Solitaire: A solitaire pendant features a single oval stone or precious gem in a simple setting. Worn with a long necklace, it is a classic piece of jewellery.
- Gems: One of the most common types of pendants found in the form of precious gemstones such as diamonds, usually form the focal point of a piece of jewellery.
- Wood: Usually found in the form of intricate figurines and also simple shapes, wooden pendants are also a popular choice.
- Glass: These pendants are smooth and found in a number of colors.
- Metal: Pendants are commonly available in platinum, gold and silver, among other metals.
Pendant Styles and Shapes:
- Heart Stone: A heart stone pendant featuring a heart-shaped stone comes encrusted with jewels and is a perfect gift, usually for Valentine’s Day.
- Three Stone: A three-stone pendant is a bolder design than a solitaire pendant, and features three precious stones arranged vertically or in the shape of a pyramid.
- Flat: If looking for a less formal piece of jewellery, flat pendants are an ideal choice. They usually feature a design etched on their surface, and come in simple geometric shapes such as ovals, squares or circles. They could also come in simple designs such as hearts and crosses.