A necklace is a timeless piece of jewellery that adds style and glamour to any outfit. Necklaces are available in various lengths and styles, with different types of pendants. They can feature pearls, charms or jewels.
Whether you are planning to buy a necklace for a loved one, or perhaps want one for yourself, it is important to know the different types of necklaces and how they are classified, to make the perfect choice.
Read on to find out the various types of necklaces classified on the basis of length and adornment:
Classification by length
- Collar Necklace: Shaped and worn like the collar of a shirt, it is 12-14 inches in length. It usually has multiple strands and is worn high on the neck. A collar necklace looks best with off shoulder tops and V necks.
- Choker: The length of a choker necklace is usually 14 – 16 inches. One of the most popular types of choker necklaces is the pearl choker. These necklaces drive focus to the neckline.
- Princess necklace: This 18-20 inch long necklace is worn below the collar bone and looks great with pendants. Princess necklaces are available in various styles and can be paired with casual wear and dresses alike.
- Matinee necklace: These necklaces are usually 22-58 inches in length and rest on the breast bone. They look best with extremely high or low necklines. They should not be worn with decorated necklines, as that overshadows the beauty of the necklace.
- Opera necklace: These necklaces add a dramatic touch to your outfit, and are about 28-34 inches in length. They are best worn with gowns or a formal blouse.
- Rope necklace: Usually 35 – 45 inches in length, rope necklaces look funky and trendy. They can be worn with multiple loops, to achieve the desired length.
Classification by adornment
- Diamond Necklace: One of the most popular types of necklaces, they are perfect gifts for a special occasion. The different types of diamond necklaces available include diamond V necklace, eternity diamond necklace and diamonds by the yard necklace.
- Solitaire Pendants: A solitaire pendant necklace has a simple design that drives focus on the beauty of its gemstone. Timeless pieces of jewellery, they can be worn with jeans as well as a dress.
- Pearl necklace: Pearl strands form an important part of a woman’s wardrobe. There are many variations of pearl necklaces available. One of the is a bib necklace made of multiple strands of pearls.